Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer: Lazy But Good

Hasn't the phrase "midsummer night" always been something like a cliche? I don't know about you guys, but I hear that phrase and automatically think of Robert Frost and his poems about living in nature or something. It's kind of a funny thing with cliches though- they seem boring until you experience them for yourself. Let me give you an example: "his heart beat like a drum, and he wondered why no one else seemed to hear the thumping in his ribcage." It used to be another cliche for me, a trite expression to throw in when writing when I had no better words to use. But I vividly that one moment in my life, maybe before a big test or a performance in front of a lot of people (I don't remember), that my heart was just POUNDING. And I realized that moment why expressions become cliches- because they are great and descriptive the FIRST time it's used.


So. Midsummer nights. What are you thinking of right now? A night in the middle of summer? Ok ok, so it isn’t the MIDDLE of summer yet, but I think July 4th is close enough. To me, midsummer nights just mean warm, breezy, peaceful, relaxing evenings out on your porch or in the middle of a park or just walking along the sidewalk, a night where you look out and just feel soothed by the slowly setting sun and gentle skies. A night where you feel completely carefree and it's just awesome to sit and enjoy the night for what it is. That's today. I didn't go out tonight for any 4th of July fireworks, but I had an awesome time playing some pick-up soccer with a bunch of friends. I hear the crackle and pops of fireworks from the open window beside me, and I'm just leaning back in this comfy chair and typing. 

This is what summer nights are supposed to feel like. Granted, I don't have to wake up early tomorrow morning to work or anything, but every now and then that lazy, relaxing summer night comes along for everyone. So I'm gonna sign off and get back to that right now. Happy 4th of July everyone!


Wait....what do people in the Southern Hemisphere think when they hear “midsummer nights?” O.o

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! Feedback or thoughts are ALWAYS appreciated =D