Saturday, July 23, 2011

Planning Your Day

What is the first thing you think of upon waking up in the morning? "Stupid alarm.... I just want to go back to sleep," "My feet are really cold," or even "I really need to go the bathroom!" sound familiar. Or how about "What the heck am I going to accomplish today??"

I have to admit that last question rarely pops into my mind in the morning. Usually it's something more trivial, like wondering what I'm going to eat for breakfast or weighing the consequences of hitting the snooze button and going back to sleep. But when it does, I feel a sense of obligation to do something worthwhile, which can be both good and bad. Time is a valuable resource, and especially during the summer, days can melt away faster than the ice cube in your drink. I just don't want to come to the end of the summer and realize I wasted an entire vacation doing nothing. So I suppose asking yourself a simple question in the morning can have its benefits. Am I going to run? Hang out with friends? Blog? Play music? Just make sure "be a total vegetable and do nothing but lie on the couch, check Facebook, eat, sleep, and flip through channels" is NOT on your to-do list.

Whether or not you actually do write out to-do lists, it's important to have an active mindset, not a reactive one throughout the day. Plan, don't watch your day go by. Today is precious. So don't hold back- it's up to you to make something of it.

2 comments:

  1. Well, one day you got to watch your life go by.
    And remain a sigh that life is precious.
    Wish to know that feeling?
    Here recommend a book to you,"The last station" by Jay Parini
    Why don't you plan a reading of that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I think I've felt that feeling many times before already. But it is always a good thing to keep track of your time, I'll plan to read that book sometime =]

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! Feedback or thoughts are ALWAYS appreciated =D