Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Reasons to buy shoes

I got these new shoes recently (with big thanks to my cousin and aunt) and it got me thinking about material possessions and how we feel about acquiring "stuff." We've all had that feeling before, the excitement of buying new clothes or accessories (girls) or getting a fresh pair of kicks (guys) and then thinking about that item for the rest of the day. But where does the source of the excitement come from?

Some of it comes from the fact that we like to impress others and look good. That's the obvious reason.Outward appearances are easier to change. They reflect your own personality. Sometimes they get you noticed and complimented, boosting your self image.

Which leads to a second possibility, which is self confidence. I know I'd act a lot different if I were wearing pajamas versus khaki pants and a nice polo. One makes me self-conscious and embarrassed, the other makes me outgoing and energetic. And I find that happens even when I'm home alone and no one is there to judge my clothing. If I wear pajamas the whole day I feel lazy and lounge around like a slob, as opposed to changing into jeans and nice shirt (clothes I'd wear to school) and feeling like I can actually sit down and accomplish something.

There could be various other reasons. The bargain-compulsive buyer, for example, loves to buy "good deals" and feel like they're getting the most out of their money, even if they don't need that particular item. They simply like the feeling of getting a "good buy." I suppose (and I'm not 100% sure on this just yet) that's why girls think shopping is a lot of fun, though I'm pretty sure it's a combination of all the above.

So yeah, now I have new shoes. I bought them for all the reasons above, plus the fact that I just needed a new pair. Am I over-thinking all this? Absolutely. But maybe if you're the type who overspends on buying clothing, you'll really think about why you're buying something next time. And oh, I just thought of another reason someone could be buying a pair of shoes. My cousin recently told me about a brand called TOMS, which promises to send one pair of shoes to a child in need for every pair that you buy. Now that's just an awesome reason to buy shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! Feedback or thoughts are ALWAYS appreciated =D